William Godwin's Diary


St James’s Park is surrounded by three palaces: the Palace of Westminster, which contains the Houses of Parliament, St James’s Palace and Buckingham Palace. It is not clear which of the three Godwin visited. The park was remodelled by John Nash in 1827 and so Godwin would have seen the more natural landscape created by these changes. Nash replaced the straight pond in the centre with a more organically shaped lake and converted the straight avenues into winding paths.

See www.royalparks.org.uk and www.infobritain.co.uk.